My chickens are "purring"...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by AriadneCastro, Jul 5, 2016.

1. AriadneCastro

AriadneCastro Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2016
    Sintra, Portugal
    Hello folks, good morning/good afternoon/good evening...!

I've always loved psychology and everything my chickens do is subject of analysis! Lol...[​IMG] So, I've noticed this very cute thing they do, when they are sleepy or when they are on my lap and I'm petting them: it's a subtle trembling, the whole bird vibrates for little bit! It's not an audible purr like cats do (but one can feel it) and it's not a continuos vibration, more like small outbursts of energy. It looks like a manifestation of pleasure and comfort, but I'm wondering if you have noticed the same behavior in your birds, and if there is any academic opinion on it...

2. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Whenevr I pic my chickens up,they kinda shake....

3. SueT

SueT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    Our young ones, now 7 weeks, make a trilling sound at roosting time as they settle in...

4. AriadneCastro

AriadneCastro Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2016
    Sintra, Portugal
    I've also noticed this trilling sound, usually when they go to sleep in the evening, but some have done it while napping on my lap during the day. My guess is that the trill means something like "I'm sleepy and want to be cozy", whereas the purring means something like "I'm comfortable and enjoying the cuddling"...

5. SueT

SueT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    Ariadne, you are on your way to creating a chicken dictionary![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by