1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My chickens are savages!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jamin Mayer, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Jamin Mayer

Jamin Mayer Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2010
    Longmont
    I went to a coffee shop this morning to meet with buddies of mine. Well, I forgot to let out the chickens. I normally let them out at 6 or 6:30am. I had one of my kids do it for me at 8am. (I know, I'm horrible). My kids noticed later in the morning (maybe 10am) that one of our chickens was being attacked by all of the others. They were pecking it in the breast/neck area. They plucked a fair amount of feathers off of it. We set the chicken in a tote with bedding, water and food. I allowed little sunlight to get inside the tote (to calm the victim). I took her and washed off the blood with water and a sponge. Besides the plucked feathers, the chicken looks fine. She has a calm behavior and is standing just fine. I haven't put her back in with the general population.

I believe that they got hungry and started randomly picking on this particular chicken. Do you all think this is true?

When should I reintroduce her back to the mean savages?

Thank you in advance![​IMG]

2. Tiss

Tiss Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Georgia
    Don't beat yourself up. I don't let mine out until 8:30 or 9am. What can I say, I'm not a morning person.

I'd let any wounds heal and then reintroduce her on the roost at night.

3. Alabama ee

Alabama ee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2010
    I would make sure there are no red spots or blood showing before putting her back. If they see red on her, they will attack her again.

4. Jamin Mayer

Jamin Mayer Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2010
    Longmont
    Thanks. How long do you think it will take to heal? I have no idea with this stuff.

Thankfully, I can close off a portion of the chicken run for the injured chicken to be alone and run around. But, I wonder if they will try to get her again if I had them roost together...

5. Alabama ee

Alabama ee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2010
    HOpefully, it has healed by now. How is she doing?

6. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Are you sure that your other chickens are getting enough protein in their feed?

7. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    That behavior seems a bit extreme for a couple hour delay in opening up the coop. Do they have enough space in the coop? I also would be looking at their feed to see if they are getting enough protein or enough food period. I have never had any birds be feather pickers, for which I am thankful. Your hen that is pecked- any wounds can be covered with a spray called Blukote. You can get it at any agriculture store and it covers the red of the wounds so other birds won't continue to pick at the victim. (Well, they may continue to pick at her, but it won't be because of the wounds. At that point it will just be because the chickens are being brutes.) I use Blukote on wounds so I don't have to separate any birds out of the flock unless its an extreme case. Blukote is an antibacterial/antifungal wound dressing and can be used on any animal in the barnyard. Just don't get it on yourself or you will be purple spotted forever.

Good luck.

8. prancie

prancie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Alabama
    yeah bluekote or the brand i get here "woundkote" is an indispensible necessity of chicken keeping

9. 4 luv of eggs

4 luv of eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    There's another product call Rooster Booster Pick No More. It not only protects the area but it tastes awful if they decide to pick on her again.

10. Larkin

Larkin Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Northern Wisconsin
    Just wondering if you use Blukote on any bird that you will consume? I have read conflicting reports on this.

I'm having the same plucking problem with my birds right now and have tried Hot Pick and they still do it:confused:.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by