My chickens are soooo mean! Pecked the little one! Will she make it??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kelly13, Jul 11, 2014.

1. TaraBellaBirds

TaraBellaBirds Songster

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    Many hatcheries do sell started pullets. They are a bit more expesive but you know for sure you are getting females and you could choose some closer to your injured girls age. I know Murray McMurray has them as well as Meyer, just have to check on availibility

2. jgoldy2

jgoldy2 Songster

Jul 8, 2014
    Colorado
    i think that the started pullets might pick on her, i once read a story in back yard poultry that said that a young chicken got better one she was with her buddy so if i were you i would have her buddy with her.

3. kelly13

kelly13 In the Brooder

Mar 18, 2014
    Camden, De
    Well she has recovered well and I think is ready to go outside, all tho her head is still not normal it is healing. She will still be separated. So if I put blu- kote on her scab will that help prevent flies getting at her? And I'm afraid to put her with her buddy bc he's a rooster and with the others now and he will peck her head bc it's not feathered over yet! I just know it! After keeping her in my bathroom for weeks I'm not going thru that again! Lol
    Just wonder if it's too soon to put blu-kote on her head?? Ps I got my first egg this am from one of my rsl!!! [​IMG]

4. Mccluckers

Mccluckers Chirping

Jun 5, 2014
    uk
    Well done hope she completely recovers soon

5. TaraBellaBirds

TaraBellaBirds Songster

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    [​IMG]Glad she is felling better, and congrats on the egg! You can definitely put blu-kote it, it should deter the other from pecking at it too.

6. wyllyschickens

wyllyschickens Chirping

Apr 25, 2014
    Just reading all this and breaks my heart. You are such a natural at nursing things back to life! Perhaps you should do more rescuing! Good for you and so glad she is doing well. Hoping for a speedy recovery!

7. kelly13

kelly13 In the Brooder

Mar 18, 2014
    Camden, De
    Just an update! Her scab is completely gone. Her skin has grown in nicely and I finally have seen some new feathers forming! Also got Some new friends for her in the mail today :) all is well and she is acting like a normal chicken. Thanks again for all the help through our emergency!

1 person likes this.
  8. TaraBellaBirds

TaraBellaBirds Songster

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    You are welcome glad it had a happy ending!

9. texaspolloloco

texaspolloloco In the Brooder

Jun 25, 2014
    Georgetown TX
    Im glad she turned out alright. I was worried about her in the beginning.

10. jgoldy2

jgoldy2 Songster

Jul 8, 2014
    Colorado
    good to here all is well and so reliving to those of us with a sick chicken, also congrats on the egg good, luck in the future with what ever comes up in your flock

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: