1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My chickens are starting to become fertile eggs

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sunriserooster1, Nov 5, 2013.

1. sunriserooster1

sunriserooster1 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2013
    My chickens have just started to mate about a month and a half ago since its November anyways they are starting to have a white dot. We cracked open the types of eggs we have- they have been laying for about 3-5 months now - road island reds ( 1 egg ) bantam ( 1 egg )and americana ( 1 egg) we cracked open ( 3 eggs in total ) - and like i said before they had the white dot so i was wondering how long would it take for them to hatch? or we could all be wrong and just be really dumb [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and here is what the eggs look like now when we cracked them about 25 minutes ago
    [​IMG] bantam and road island red and did not put other egg sorry : / anyways you can not see the white well maybe you can because its in the middle of the 2 eggs!!

2. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    I can't really see them, but my eyes aren't the best.

If it's a white dot with a ring around it, then it's fertile. Usually referred to as a "bulls eye", like on a game of darts.

Chicken eggs take 21 days to hatch, but need to be incubated.

3. country chick1

country chick1 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2013
    congrats on fertile eggs....your part way there to hatching little chickens..do you have an incubator or are you planning on using a broody hen???? once eggs are set in incubator or placed under broody hen, they take 21/22 days to hatch

4. sunriserooster1

Sep 21, 2013
    Well thank you and we thought it was kinda odd why they started to have babys now because its.. FALL! but really.. where happy about it. also my bantam has stayed in her nesting box for about.. 2-3 days now and she is one of the chickens where she does NOT want to get up form the nesting box and get food! So every 23-30 minutes im out there feeding her also where not using the incubator and what is broody hen? I have herd of it but i never known what it was im a first time chicken owner and i hope to be a baby chicken owner as well! :) and i thought it would take longer then 21-22 days And is there any other things i would need to know about raising and keeping my hen and Future baby chicks safe healthy and good? Thanks ~ Sunriserooster1 :) [​IMG]

5. goldfinches

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    Just because your eggs are fertilized doesn't mean they'll turn into babies. They have to be incubated, either in an incubator or under a broody hen, which is a hen who has stopped laying and is ready to sit on the eggs.
    You don't need to keep going out and feeding her. She'll eat and drink when she needs to.

If you want babies you can leave a couple of eggs under her, marked so you know which ones they are. Don't leave too many, bantams are pretty small and can't incubate a whole lot of eggs.

Continue to collect and eat the rest of the eggs.

6. country chick1

Oct 11, 2013
    What is a broody hen you ask?? - this is a broody hen ------ "my bantam has stayed in her nesting box for about.. 2-3 days now and she is one of the chickens where she does NOT want to get up form the nesting box and get food"

if she is still there and you have fertile eggs, pop them under her at night and let her sit, she will get off the nest when she needs to, just make sure she gets off every 1-2 days,

don't you worry about going out there and feeding her, she knows what she has to do, she will turn the eggs herself and keep them at the right temp...have her in a separate cage to make sure other hens don't bother her and lay their eggs in her nest, this will ensure she only hatches out the eggs you gave her and not others that have gotten in there..make sure she has access to food and water, is sheltered and is happy....

sit back and wait patiently for day 21/22 and you will be a proud chicky momma

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  7. sunriserooster1

Sep 21, 2013
    So does that mean i have to take her off her eggs for about.. at least.. 5 minutes
    ???

8. The Bantam Guy

The Bantam Guy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2013
    I dont even know :p
    P.S if you want to check agian try to get her(s) out of the nesting box there VERY protective ive had 3 week scabs because of broody hens

9. goldfinches

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    Just decide which eggs you want her to try to hatch, mark them with an X or something and put them under her. They're snippy when they're broody, but not too bad usually. Check under her daily to make sure someone else doesn't lay additional eggs and they start to incubate.

10. country chick1

Oct 11, 2013
    just keep an eye on her, a good sign she has come off the nest without you seeing her, is she will do a poop..not just any old poop, she will do a stink to high heaven broody poop...you will smell it before you see it...it is rank.....if you notice she hasn't been off the nest in 48 hours, get her off for a stretch and food/water/poop..you don't want her pooping on her eggs....mine would get off every second day, no problems...then as they get to the last few days, they won't get off at all, they will stay there, stuck fast from about day 18/19 till the eggs hatch at day 21/22.....just leave her be unless you absolutely have to touch her

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by