My chickens are too picky...

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Michandy, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Michandy

Michandy New Egg

Aug 23, 2011
    So, we have installed a new automatic feeder a few months ago, which has been working fine... however, since this installation we have noticed that the chickens only eat certain things from their feed that they like, and have been leaving the stuff they don't like behind. Before the feeder, we were feeding the chooks in both a hanging feeder and a ground feeder and I'm assuming that pigeons and sparrows have probably been eating the crappy leftovers before. Now with the automatic feeder, only the chickens can eat the food (so we are glad there is less wastage), but these "leftovers" seem to be building up. Any tips and suggestions as to how to get the chooks to eat the leftovers??

2. IttyBiddyRedHen

IttyBiddyRedHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    East coast
    I don't know what you would do with the feeder (?) I have been using the little round dishes, that attach to the quart jars. Lately,when DH brought home some newer chunkier feed, the 7 chickend decided they didn't like the laying mash anymore. The tossed it all on the ground, looking for the good stuff. I wait till it is almost empty, then pour the leftovers in another dish. Set it away from the feeder. They think it is special, and gobble it up. They also like to turn them over when they are empty, which is no problem by then.

3. Michandy

Michandy New Egg

Aug 23, 2011
    ...separating it out away from the feeder is a good idea - I will try tomorrow and see what happens thanks!

4. IttyBiddyRedHen

Jul 30, 2011
    East coast
    Quote:Good luck!! I find mine are gullible, suceptible to suggestion...*wink*. They think they are getting a ...*cough-cough* treat.....if it is different somehow... [​IMG]

Silly chickens [​IMG]

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    About once a week, I don't refill the feeders until they clean up the powdery stuff. They may be picky, but they will not stand to be hungry when food is available. I don't want that powder to get old, damp, and moldy, so I get them to clean it up.

I haven't done it, but some people report mixing it with water, milk, or yogurt to make a mash. Their chickens eat that better than the powder. I'd suggest you make sure that it does not get moldy if you wet it. and clean the dishes well.

That separate treat idea may work too. Certainly worth a try.

Then a lot of people report that their chickens prefer the powder and leave the chunks until last. I don't think there is anything consistent about chickens.

6. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:Ain't that the truth. Mine won't eat pellets. Then they don't want the powder. I'm with you I just leave the powder.

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I clean out the powder left from my crumbles into a dog bowl and then add water making an oatmeal consistancy. Then I put it out in small plant saucers and everyone comes running. They eat every bite till it's gone. I don't keep any of it past the same day because its sours.

8. IttyBiddyRedHen

Jul 30, 2011
    East coast
    Yeah...add water. I will be looking for ...or creating...some sort of recipe for the ...uhm..."treats"...to make from the laying feed. It is finer ground, and they think they are too picky to finish the bag...pfft. Little do they know .... *winks*

Anyway....I was thinking of making something like a *chicken granola snack ball* kinda thing. Think......Granola Cereal....for chickens.
    Mix it, with added sunflower seeds, maybe suet and/or molasses, some other stuff..(oatmeal?), stuff that tastes good and can be stored dry. If it is...*different*.....they get all excited. Hmmm...maybe some dried meal worm chunks too..... [​IMG]

I prefer not to let the leftovers go to waste.....we are pinching pennies as it is. And, so far, the 7 chickens are healthy. Good eye color, feathers looks good, they have energy and good appetites. They poop healthy looking poop so far...I just hose the coop down once a week. To keep things more sanitary for them. They gets fresh bugs, fresh air and sunshine, plenty of fresh water.

Afterall...they are birds.

9. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:Sounds like you have it going on. How's your egg production?

10. IttyBiddyRedHen

Jul 30, 2011
    East coast
    No eggs yet. We just got them the middle of June..and they were very young then. I don't really know how old they are, neither does DH..as the man he got them from, caught them wild on his property. They are Gamecocks...is all we know. Maybe they are 3 months old? The rooster isn't even all filled out yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by