My chickens are trying to get inside!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by robot rooster, Feb 21, 2009.

1. robot rooster

robot rooster Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2009
    My chickens and roosters this morning are trying to get in my house! Three are on the front porch and two are trying to get in the window on the back porch! What gives?

2. ShelleyInAlberta

ShelleyInAlberta Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2009
    Sherwood Park, Alberta
    i bet they can smell the yummy breakfast you're makin... toss them some pancakes for a mornin treat.

3. Master S.M.C

Master S.M.C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    Is it to cold for them, if they are not hardy breeds they will seek warmth. YOur house may be giving off heat.

4. Lorettawyandotte

Lorettawyandotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2008
    white springs, fl
    that is just too funny...my ducks years ago would follow me into the house...if I left the back door open it was not unusual to look around and find some ducks in the kitchen...funny guys...

5. salemskies

salemskies Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2008
    I leave the back door for mine to come inside in the afternoon. I have one that lays an egg consistently on my computer chair and another lays one by the refrigerator! [​IMG] I'm just happy they're laying and they're just so darn cute! [​IMG]

6. Farmer Brown

Farmer Brown Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    Most of ours love to come and visit. Some of them will tap on the glass door to get our attention [​IMG] we usually give them a few treats and send them on their way before they can process said treats [​IMG]

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    You give them treats and then you disappear behind the mysterious door. They're not the world's brightest creatures, but after awhile they put two and two together.
    I have a couple of hens that'll knock on the kitchen door. If I open the door they'll all come strolling right into the kitchen.

8. Indiana hens

Indiana hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    I have an Australorpe that is teaching the others to lay eggs in the ash bucket on the back porch.

9. digginchicks

digginchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2009
    Sullivan, Indiana
    haha my mom wouold kill me if she found a chicken in the house.

10. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    My girls will make a break for the kitchen if given the chance. Their brooder was in there, so I think they like coming back to the hinterland.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by