My chickens aren't eating their new type of feed.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Lady Chickadee, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Lady Chickadee

Lady Chickadee Rocky Top Silkies

Apr 1, 2011
    Central Kentucky
    I've switched my chickens to layer pellets and I don't think they're eating it. Its the same brand but its just the layer feed version. Is it because the pellets are so big and what am I suppose to do?

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I had this EXACT same problem with my girls. It seems that the babies don't like the layer feed as much as they liked the starter feed. What was recommended for me to do was to wet the feed down a bit so that it is moist. They told me that this would get them to eat. And you know what?? It works!! Get a tub and put some dry feed in it. Pour in a tiny bit of water, mix it till it is fairly wet.

Try it. My girls began eating the layer food with gusto! Good luck!

Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
  3. chicken-whisperer

chicken-whisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Vista San Diego County
    Some of my flock started eating less after I switched to pellets but they waste less. I tried removing food for a couple of hours and put a few grains of scratch under the pellets and that worked. They are now, eating more but still less than before. If they free range they eat more oyster shell and less lay food.

4. Lady Chickadee

Lady Chickadee Rocky Top Silkies

Apr 1, 2011
    Central Kentucky
    Okay, thanks everyone! I'm going to try wetting their feed first.Oh,and they do free range.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by