My Chickens Aren't Laying - Help, Please!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Rachel96, Mar 17, 2012.

1. Rachel96

Rachel96 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2012
    South Australia
    I have some lavender Araucana hens which aren't laying. I purchased them about two weeks ago, so they should be settled in by now, and the guy I bought them from says they're about 18 months old. I can't think why they're not laying for me yet. Any ideas?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  2. AnimalLady123

AnimalLady123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    At the computer
    Can you post some pics?

3. AnimalLady123

AnimalLady123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    At the computer
    Oh and BTW I don't know how to help you there I just wanted to see some pics...Sorry!!

4. Rachel96

Mar 12, 2012
    South Australia
    This is the clearest pic I have... they all look much like this one. Sorry the pic's not so great - they're not tame and I can't get them to stay still!
    [​IMG]
    I know the man I bought them from sold their parents at around the same time - it's possible that I was told the age of the parents rather than of the pullets.

My mum says they don't look 18 months and I agree - but I've never worked with Araucanas before, and they feel pretty sturdy when I manage to pick one up.

5. Rachel96

Mar 12, 2012
    South Australia
    Or it could just be that it's been raining all week, but it's been nice the past two days though.

6. Rachel96

Mar 12, 2012
    South Australia
    Okay, so it turns out they're only about 15 or 16 weeks, and the guy had got them mixed up in his head with their parents.

To be honest, I had guessed them to about about 3 or 4 months, but I'm rather unfamiliar with Araucanas so when he said they were older, I started freeking out and thinking, "Wait! Maybe I'm wrong! I don't know anything about this breed other than the colour of their eggs! Maybe there's something wrong with them! Maybe I'm just rubbish at judging chicken ages! Are they ever going to lay?"

Sigh. All's well that ends well, I guess, and I suppose I can look forwards to eggs in about two months.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by