My chickens aren't laying yet :(

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by dustinmommy74, Dec 12, 2014.

1. dustinmommy74

dustinmommy74 New Egg

Aug 29, 2014
    We have had our chickens since August and they haven't starting laying eggs. We have ten chickens total...2 Welsummer, 2 Delaware, 2 Ameracauna, 2 Maran, and 2 Olive Eggers...we think three of them are roosters, which is a totally different post. They live in a coop and they are outside during the day in a very sizable, enclosed run. We don't have a light in the coop, but they are outside from sunrise to sunset every day. Are we trying to make them overachieve or should they be laying eggs at this point? And by they way, I had no idea I would love them so much...having chickens is so much fun!

2. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Exactly how old are they? Did you get them as chicks or adults? If they were day olds in August they are merely 16 weeks old now. That is too young for eggs. Truth is they will start laying when they are good and ready, and not before then no matter what you do.

If you think you have cockerels then maybe it's time to post some pictures so we can point out the males.

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
  4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

The above posters have given you some good advice and links already. Good luck with your flock! I hope they begin laying some beautiful eggs for you soon. [​IMG]

5. dustinmommy74

dustinmommy74 New Egg

Aug 29, 2014
    We got them on August 14 and they were 3 days old. So, yes, they are only 16 weeks. More than anything I just don't want to do anything wrong with them as a new chicken mom. I want them to be healthy and happy so if they are going to take their sweet time to lay eggs, that's fine. Thank you for the responses...I can always use help! I'll post some pics in the next few days. I know that two are absolutely roos, but one of the Olive Eggers is making me wonder. It crows more than any of the others, but I'm not sure if it's a roo!

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Most breeds generally start laying between 5 and 7 months of age. So you still have some time to wait yet. When they get really red faces and combs and they start squatting for you when you lean over them, the eggs will be coming down the pipes soon!!

If somebody is crowing, then yes, you have a roo. :)

Good luck and enjoy all your babies!!

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

8. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Welcome to BYC and for joining our coop! Believe me when they start laying they'll make everyone happy.[​IMG] fresh eggs will be on everyone's mind. However, I did feel just a little bit guilty when I collect those first, still warm eggs and fried them up.[​IMG] Oh, did I mention that the hens were still doing their egg call! They where so proud of themselves and their eggs.[​IMG] What a devil, I am.[​IMG] But they tasted so good! Be patient it's worth the wait![​IMG]

9. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Glad you joined the flock [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by