My chickens aren't laying!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Wyandotte108, Nov 2, 2008.

1. Wyandotte108

Wyandotte108 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2008
    Central Florida
    I have had my chickens for a while now. and since day one, they have been laying. then we recently had fay, and after that, not a SINGLE egg has been layd. We have 3 pullets and 3 hens. But our pullets are at show right now.. Whats going on...?

2. beakkeeper

beakkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Well, the stress of a hurricane can stop a bird from laying, and depending on what breed they are, they will also stop laying in the winter, when the days get shorter. Also, shows are very stressful and will stop egg production. If they are going through a moult, that will stop their eggs. Also things to consider are disease and malnutrition, but since all 6 birds aren't laying, I would guess it to be one of the first options.

3. Wyandotte108

Nov 2, 2008
    Central Florida
    Well, the hens we have are 3 japanese, 1 wyandotte and two dutch. And one that looks like a crow...[​IMG]

The japanese had been laying everyday.
    Is it possible for them to still be going through some sort of shock type of stage?

but the dutch and wyandotte are at the county fair, and are still a bit young to be laying.

4. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

i have 25 ...25 week old pullets. They will be 26 weeks on Monday! Not one of them is laying! :mad: I am about ready to do some butchering! [​IMG]

I give them light for a few extra hours at night, they get laying pellets, treats, grass! What gives?! I would really like to be selling some eggs.

5. Wyandotte108

Nov 2, 2008
    Central Florida
    I am about ready to do some butchering

Haha! My mom is at that stage too!
    Its so irritating. We bought these hens to save money on eggs because of how the economy is going..GAHH! This is no help!

Were ready to just buy 5 RIR hens:D

6. jhm47

jhm47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    It's normal for pullets to start laying around 22-30 weeks. It all depends on the breed. Light, or egg-laying breeds start first, and dual purpose next, and the heavy, or meat breeds last. If you are truly interested in egg production alone, you would be wise to get some production Leghorns. They lay the most eggs, and do it on the least feed. However, they are also not very good meat birds, and are quite flighty and nervous.

Another thing---show quality birds are not nearly the egg-layers as the production type birds. They look better, and are usually larger, with much nicer color and feathering, but they will not usually lay as well as birds of the same breed that have been bred for production.

7. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    My hens slow way down this time of year. My 6 year olds won't lay again now until Jan or Feb. So far the 7 month olds are still laying, and then I have 2 five month olds that haven't started laying yet. I'm not sure if they will start laying soon, or if they are going to wait until after winter.

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have RIR's. The first to lay, layed at 17 weeks. The last to start laying was 27 weeks old. I agree
    Quote:

9. Wyandotte108

Nov 2, 2008
    Central Florida
    Oh, really? I hear that they are good layers..

10. lovemychicks

lovemychicks Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2008
    CT
    Harley's girl :

i have 25 ...25 week old pullets. They will be 26 weeks on Monday! Not one of them is laying! :mad:

ME TOO! They've been squatting for a few weeks already, but no eggs. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by