My chickens aren't masticating.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by BBQJOE, Jun 23, 2016.

1. BBQJOE

BBQJOE Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Void where prohibited.
    It's been hotter than all get out here lately. 108° isn't unheard of. I had one bird croak the other day.
    I too sometimes don't feel like eating, but they're only eating 1/8th to maybe a quarter of their normal intake.
    I try to feed them in the morning when it's cool, and in the evening right about when the sun sets, and the day is at it's coolest before dark.

I finally broke down and fed them a bunch of scratch last night so they'd eat something, and they took right to it.
    They hardly touched their mash this morning. I threw them some bread and lettuce, and they weren't real excited about it. I then gave them an ear of corn, and they did ok with that.

I haven't changed feeds. It's the same stuff they've always gotten. I got four eggs out of 7 yesterday, and haven't checked yet today.

For the most part otherwise they seem fine. I'm thinking I'll just leave their normal food out for them, and when they get hungry enough, I guess they'll eat it, otherwise, we might be having a skinny chicken buffet.

2. azjustin

azjustin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2016
    Tucson, AZ
    Now that we're over 100 every day, I've noticed that 90% of the feed is consumed before 9 AM and after 7 PM. Treats during the day typically go over as good as a wet fart, but do get consumed when things cool off.

We free feed as much as possible.

Monsoon flows are almost to the SW area, things probably will change after that.

3. BBQJOE

Sep 25, 2015
    Void where prohibited.
    I try to feed between 5 & 6 am. They're hardly touching it. Maybe I'll try wetting their mash with an old beer.

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    [​IMG] I'm "Masticating" my popcorn [​IMG]

5. BBQJOE

Sep 25, 2015
    Void where prohibited.
    I masticated a steer.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
  6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I'm sure thats not legal [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. BBQJOE

Sep 25, 2015
    Void where prohibited.
    In my country it is, but I wouldn't try it in India.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by