My chickens arent sleeping in the house????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Needycowgirl, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Needycowgirl

Needycowgirl Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2011
    Spokane Valley
    I had to get rid of my Roo last week because they aren't legal where I am [​IMG]...Suddenly tonight I noticed that my girls aren't sleeping in the coop tonight. Its dark and they are all hanging outside either on the ground or on the outside roosts....Is this normal? I just wondered if its because its summer and nice weather or if its because their man left.. They have been sleeping in the coop for months..

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Sometimes a snake or other critter has gotten in the coop, or they have a case of lice/mites, some of which hide during the day and get on them at night. Ot maybe it is cooler outside.

3. Needycowgirl

Feb 27, 2011
    Spokane Valley
    Thanks for the reply..I can 100% guarantee there is no critters or mites in the coop....hmm so maybe they just like it outside

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Keep in mind though that unless your run is very securely covered, outside is not a safe place for them to roost at night. Your roo may have guided them inside each night, and now that he's gone, nobody is taking over that job. I know my roo herds his girls in each night. Does your coop have plenty of ventilation? I'm wondering too if it's a lot hotter inside than out???

5. Needycowgirl

Feb 27, 2011
    Spokane Valley
    The run is covered so I dont worry about them outside. The house is well ventilated and last night it didnt feel that warm in the coop....so should I wait and see if someone takes over his job or start finding a way to heard them in? There is no door on the coop so I cant lock them in for the night.

6. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Are you POSITIVE that your coop isTotally secure from predators? We were shocked to learn our chicken wire walls failed as safe and secure~ except to confine my chickens while a racoon broke in and attacked them one [email protected] 4AM

7. christineavatar

christineavatar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Bolinas, CA
    I think the idea that they are waiting for someone to lead them in is probably correct. It seems that you'll have to play rooster for a while - just a couple of days I would think - and coax them in. After a while they should start doing it on their own.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by