my chickens ate a little bit of sponge?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SCOUT123, Jun 18, 2016.

1. SCOUT123

SCOUT123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2014
    San Jose, CA
    the sponge was off a chair that'd been sitting outside. will it hurt them?

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    How large of a piece?

If it was several small pieces, I would think it will most likely pass as long as she has access to grit and plenty of food and water. If it was one large chunk then keep a close eye on her.

3. beccaWA

beccaWA Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Eastern WA
    Agree with Wyorp. And be sure to keep them away from styrofoam, like coolers and such. My chickens happily will eat a whole cooler if I let them! I caught them eating random little pieces of stiff white plastic that blew into my yard. Apparently, they'll eat anything. (Yes, I feed them plenty LOL)

1 person likes this.
  4. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    X2

They will peck at anything. I had a bright idea to hang heavy rubber mats for a wind in a section of the run this winter. Thinking the black would absorb heat and make a nice area to get out of the wind as well. That lasted about 2days, they were eating the mats (they were having a great time), so....had to remove and rethink.

5. SCOUT123

SCOUT123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2014
    San Jose, CA
    It was several small pieces, but I don't give them grit...

6. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    They will most likely pass or have already done so. Some people don't provide grit and let their chickens find a source in their yard/run, so she has probably found some small pieces of gravel that will be sufficient.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by