My chickens ate a pigeon.

TheOrganicSister

Hatching
10 Years
Jul 11, 2009
For about a week, pigeons were somehow getting into the coop/run. I'm assuming they were after the feed/scratch. We kept covering areas we thought they were squeezing through with no luck.

I went out the other morning and found the chickens had attacked, killed and were picking the meat off a pigeon. I removed it. But I'm wondering if this is healthy or dangerous, if I should throw away the eggs or if this has ever been heard of?

Needless to say, we haven't seen another pigeon in their coop. (Or any remains either, thankfully.) So at least they seemed to have taken care of that problem.

I can't imagine it's dangerous for them ... they are omnivores by nature and if you search around the site you will see posts about chickens eating mice, fish leftovers, etc.

ep.gif
Bird killing chickens, who knew!
th.gif

I mean, I knew they would eat lizards and toads, etc, but a pigeon... WOW!

Quote:
Well, this would worry me even more. That *could* mean it was sick and I shudder to think the chickens ate a diseased pigeon. (barf)

Would it be wiser to throw away the eggs or just make sure they are cooked thoroughly, like hard-boiled?

I don't think there will be any problem with your eggs. I don't think I would leave the pigeon there for very long, because it will get bacteria growing through it as it decomposes. I am pretty impressed that your chickens took down a pigeon!! Crazy tough birds!

Back
Top Bottom