My chickens ate a pigeon.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by TheOrganicSister, Oct 27, 2009.

1. TheOrganicSister

TheOrganicSister New Egg

Jul 11, 2009
    For about a week, pigeons were somehow getting into the coop/run. I'm assuming they were after the feed/scratch. We kept covering areas we thought they were squeezing through with no luck.

I went out the other morning and found the chickens had attacked, killed and were picking the meat off a pigeon. I removed it. But I'm wondering if this is healthy or dangerous, if I should throw away the eggs or if this has ever been heard of?

Needless to say, we haven't seen another pigeon in their coop. (Or any remains either, thankfully.) So at least they seemed to have taken care of that problem.

2. hrmalexandra

hrmalexandra Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2009
    I can't imagine it's dangerous for them ... they are omnivores by nature and if you search around the site you will see posts about chickens eating mice, fish leftovers, etc.

3. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    [​IMG] Bird killing chickens, who knew! [​IMG]

I mean, I knew they would eat lizards and toads, etc, but a pigeon... WOW!

4. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:Yes, mine had some leftover fish sticks this morning and devoured them. They LOVE meat treats! But fresh, raw pigeon... that's just gross.

5. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Squab anyone?

6. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    I have a hard time believing the chickens would have killed the pigeon.
    More likely is that it simply died while in the coop.

7. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Chickens have been known to kill each other. I think they could kill a pigeon.

8. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
  9. TheOrganicSister

TheOrganicSister New Egg

Jul 11, 2009
    Quote:Well, this would worry me even more. That *could* mean it was sick and I shudder to think the chickens ate a diseased pigeon. (barf)

Would it be wiser to throw away the eggs or just make sure they are cooked thoroughly, like hard-boiled?

10. tiffster011

tiffster011 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2009
    I don't think there will be any problem with your eggs. I don't think I would leave the pigeon there for very long, because it will get bacteria growing through it as it decomposes. I am pretty impressed that your chickens took down a pigeon!! Crazy tough birds!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by