My chickens ate fertilizer! Are the eggs bad?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Kansas Bumpkin, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Kansas Bumpkin

Kansas Bumpkin New Egg

Jun 28, 2016
    My husband had regular corn fertilizer in the back part of our property without my knowledge. It didn't rain as the forecast predicted so the fertilizer was still there on top of the ground. My husband then proceeds to tell me that he saw some of our flock where he had put the fertilizer and it was gone, he saw some of them eating it. I know my flock is okay, but what about the eggs they lay? Toss them :-( If so, for how long. I am extremely upset about this, so please only helpful answers. Thank you for any information!

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Guess I'd want to know exactly what ingredients are in 'regular corn fertilizer' before any conclusions were made.
    Is the fertilizer bag available to read the label?

3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    As long as it's straight fertilizer with no pesticide added, it should be ok. Not the best practice for birds to eat fertilizer, but stuff happens. There will still be some granules left in my garden that haven't broken down when I let them in for fall clean up. They go after them like they were candy. On the other hand, I know that too much salt can be lethal, and i would assume the same with fertilizer. My bigger concern might be: did he use that spreader for insecticide, ever? If so, there would likely be some residue from that.

4. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    I am with lazy, but on the brighter side I guess that now you don't need a rooster. [​IMG] Sorry I couldn't help myself.

5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by