1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My chickens ate my neighbors grapes!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sreihart, Sep 11, 2010.

1. sreihart

sreihart Chillin' With My Peeps

I read somewhere on this forum that grape seeds are toxic to chickens. I don't think they ate very many, but what should I do? [​IMG]

2. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Well it never hurts to pray. I doubt your chickens will be hurt by eating a few grapes unless they were sprayed and even then I wouldn't worry. Always mke sure your birds have lots of fresh clean water.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  3. Casey3043

Casey3043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Should we worry about the neighbor coming over to kick some butt?

[​IMG]

Sorry, I couldn't resist!

4. sreihart

Quote:Nah, he doesn't even do anything with them. They go to waste every year. I wish he'd just cut them down [​IMG]

5. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    Idk, my chickens eat grapes all the time. Now, they are poisonous to dogs but I dont think they are to chickens.

6. dragonlair

dragonlair Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    Maine
    Mine have been eating grapes for a week now with no ill effects. Are they really poisonous for chickens?

7. sreihart

8. alaskafarmgirl

alaskafarmgirl Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2010
    Soldotna, Alaska
    The second my chickens see grapes, they go CRAZY -- they jump up and grab the bag right out of my hand.

I feed them grapes all the time. They're fine -- they play Grape Soccer -- it's fun to watch. I also give them popcorn balls, which they LOVE. And they play Tether Lettuce all the time. Tomato football. And they love cantalope and honeydew melons. I figure if they eat it, it can't be too bad for them. I've had no problems.

9. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

The last time I had chickens, they ate a bunch of seeded grapes (they liked to lounge under the vines) with no ill effect.

10. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

I intentionally feed my chickens grapes. They love them when they are frozen! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by