my chickens come out when its dark!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenman101, Mar 26, 2009.

1. chickenman101

chickenman101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    North Carolina
    hello i have a ?. the past few mornings ive been out feeding and watering my chickens before i go to work. its dark and about an hour before the sun comes up but my chickens all come out to greet me. i always thought chickens would stay asleep until it was light outside. is this normal chicken behavior? i was just wondering

2. chickenman101

Feb 12, 2009
    North Carolina
    anyone??

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Mine don't get off of the roosts until the light in the coop goes on at 6AM.

They are always back on the roosts by 7PM and the light in the coop doesn't go off until 8PM.

As soon as the Sun comes up before 6AM, I'll shut off the light in the coop.

ALSO, my chickens go by sound. If they are in the coop and hear the gate on the other end of the yard swing open or shut, that's a sign that goody man (me) is bringing food or treats and they are all out into the run awaiting my arrival.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  4. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    It's dark out here right now and my chickens are out wandering around the pen...so I guess it's normal. [​IMG]

5. chickenman101

Feb 12, 2009
    North Carolina
    ok thanks

6. iajewel

iajewel Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Corning IA
    Dark like midnight.. no.. dark like an hour or 2 before sun up.. yes.. My roos start crowing at about 3AM sun isn't up for a few hours at that hour.

7. Jennings Gamefowl

Jennings Gamefowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    CORDOVA,SOUTH CAROLINA
    second on that roo crowing at 3 in the morning..woke up a couple of times, didnt know what that noise was, thought i was crazy or something, but yep there he was crowing at 3 in the morning...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by