My chickens crown has got very pale

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by harlandpoultry, Aug 3, 2013.

1. harlandpoultry

harlandpoultry New Egg

May 28, 2013
    My light Sussex hen has been sat on some eggs for about a week or so and she came off them and had a very pale crown and has lost lots of weight and won't go into the chicken house on a night. I think she is getting pestered by my buff Orpington cockerel but I'm not too sure what's going on bearing in mind the cockerel and her are in different houses. Could someone tell me what is going on please

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

3. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] was she eating while she was on the nest? Broodies can stop eating and die. If she is eating, I would check her well for mites -they may be bothering her in the nest and she can't tolerate any more. That would cause a pale comb also. Has she been wormed recently? Parasites can cause weight loss and death. I doubt that the rooster in another area has any bearing on this. She needs some personal attention asap.

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, harlandpoultry, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined us! Good luck to you and your flock!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by