1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Chickens Don't Like Me!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mel'sChicks, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Mel'sChicks

Mel'sChicks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2009
    Conyers, Georgia
    I got 8 hens in May. I was told that they were 18 weeks old, but apparently they weren't that old (they're not laying yet). They were not handled before I got them. They have started grabbing a grape from my hand, but that's as close as I can get to them. Will they EVER like me? It's kind of aggravating that I'm so nice to them and they don't appreciate it AT ALL!!!

2. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    Treats & more treats. Take some time to just sit with them so they get more used to you. They are also more cuddly at bedtime.

3. Big Chicken Little

Big Chicken Little Chillin' With My Peeps

Go out at dusk with something they really like ...then you can pet them and they will get used to you. Do this often !!

4. chickcritty

chickcritty Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2009
    Eugene, Oregon
    My chickens got more friendly when they started to lay eggs. They actually let me pick them up and carry them around without freaking out like I'm trying to kill them [​IMG] And treats help too. They run to me whenever I go outside.

5. MIKE555444

MIKE555444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Pliny, West Virgina
    I beleive you can make some progress with treats but I don't think they will ever be as tame as chickens you raise yourself and handel while they are little chicks.

Since you admit in your profile that you are kinda new to chickens I'd like to see a picture.... Hope he didn't sell you all roos [​IMG]

Mike

6. yellowchickensmomma

yellowchickensmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    I find that if I go outside with treats and just sit with them they open up alot. I have hand raised some and have newer ones that didn't get held much as babies. They were shy at first but are coming around. Give it time.

7. NarleevilleClucks

NarleevilleClucks Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2009
    Linthicum, Maryland
    Totally don't freak out! My chix hated me too - I held mine alot when they were little but it didn't make a difference they still hated me! And then the egg squat came and from that day forth I've been able to pet the layers, the non layers are still skittish. They tame with laying!

8. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    I just wish I could walk across my yard without being mauled by chickens, some I handled a lot but most just fed them. What I do do is take a milk crate go sit in the yard with treats(most times scratch) and toss it around me. The only way I can fill the feeders is to throw a little scratch and run for the feeder and hopefully fill it before they eat the scratch. Be careful what you wish for friendly chickens means not being able to walk without a couple dozen chickens around your feet.

9. Maryallison

Maryallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    TREATS! [​IMG] My flock is all over me at mealtime! [​IMG] I have a milkcrate I sit on while I feed them and when I run outta food they fly over and sit on me & I LOVE it! [​IMG]

10. Southerngirl

Southerngirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Quote:I have one of those fancy chicken chairs too for treats!!!!!! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Also, catch the day old bread sale and freeze and thaw as you need too for your little children.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by