My chickens don't look well...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Telamon, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Telamon

Telamon Songster

May 31, 2010
    I have no idea.
    all my chickens are really tired, when they want to eat, they sit in the middle of the food box and sleep, if they want water, they sleep right beside the water can, is this normal? or is this a sickness? please respond fast.

- chickensrock9

2. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane 8 Years

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
  3. jjthink

jjthink Crowing 11 Years

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    What they are doing is NOT normal.
    Ditto the above post. Please answer all those questions AND THEN SOME:
    What are the temperatures where you are?
    How long has this been going on?
    Are they laying eggs?
    What exactly is their diet?
    How long have you had them?
    What is their living environment like? Describe setup and how many birds?
    And anything else under the sun you can think of that might provide clues. Please.
    JJ

4. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane 8 Years

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Quote:^^^^ that too. Obviously the behavior deters from their normal behavior or you wouldn't be here asking... but the answers to the questions may help us tell you WHY they are doing what they are doing and more importantly what to do about it.

5. cota05

cota05 Hatching

Oct 20, 2009
    alabama
    something you might try; put sugar in their water, put a light on them, sometimes that helps. try some teramyacin in their water, that also helps, it cant hurt them. i have been raising birds for 30 years, this has been 1 of the worst years i have seen for this particular symptom, however there are a number of problems this describes. the light and meds is the first thing i would try.
    also, make sure the area is clean, dont let them poop in their water, or feed, cause you could also have botchalism. good look

6. Ms~Silkie~Girl

Ms~Silkie~Girl Songster

Feb 7, 2009
    New York STATE
    Quote:I Agree!

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member 11 Years

Not enough information to answer your question. Key info would be age. That gives us a place to start. How hot is it in their coop? Unless you give us lots more to go on, we can't answer. Do not give any medication because you have no idea what, if anything, you are medicating.

8. cota05

cota05 Hatching

Oct 20, 2009
    alabama
    definitely try the meds first, this advice was given to me by a veterinarian who does only poultry. it can not hurt them its an antibiotic, it can only help them.

9. Qi Chicken

Qi Chicken Songster

Jul 3, 2009
    Antibiotics kill the beneficial bacteria in the gut and CAN be detrimental. It can also create an antibiotic resistance. I would suggest filling out the complete sticky to better diagnose the problem. Good luck to them.

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member 11 Years

Sorry to disagree with a vet, but NO antibiotics. You may be treating coccidiosis, which is a protozoan, not a bacteria and an antibiotic will make it worse by ravaging the good gut bacteria in addition to the damage the cocci does; or you could be treating a virus, which will not respond to antibiotics. Why on earth do folks throw antibiotics at birds all the time? It's crazy and usually a waste of money.

It could be any number of things and none of us have enough information to help you yet. You asked for a fast response, yet it seems you have not been back to this thread to get it. Unless you give us more pertinent information, no one can help you with this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: