My Chickens Eat Better Than Most Humans!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Barry Natchitoches, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Barry Natchitoches

Barry Natchitoches Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    Tennessee
    Well, maybe not always.

But certainly times like today, my chickens eat better than most humans.

Take today, for example.

I had to pull all my remaining huge, organic lettuce plants because they are close to bolting.

So I cleared all the lowlying leaves off the plants, and filled two grocery bags with them. My wife cut up some organic tomatoes that she harvested before the frost last week. We had more tomatoes than we could use, so the chickens got a large, lush, organic lettuce and tomato salad for their lunch today...

Of course, our rooster cackled loudly about the fact that we didn't provide him with fresh, ranch dressing....

2. HeritageHens

HeritageHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2010
    Orygun
    [​IMG]

The main reason I got chickens was for the recycling of garden produce. While I composted all of the scraps, I felt like I was wasting things like outside leaves, over ripe fruit, and bits of other things from the fridge that weren't getting eaten. When I first started thinking about chickens, I read "City Chicks" and the first chapters of that book focused on the garden aspect rather than chicken raising, which sold me on the project. Saturday was the first time that my small flock got out of the run and into my garden, which has been put to bed for the winter. Since I'm also organic, it was reassuring that I didn't have to worry about them getting into anything with pesticides or herbicides. And boy did they love eating the cover crop that I planted!

Maybe if I put hubby in the chicken coop he would learn to eat better from watching the chickens? [​IMG]

3. bywaterdog

bywaterdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    N.O.L.A.
    I live 4 blocks from a wholesale produce stand, this week the girls had : green and yellow peppers, honeydew melons, beet tops, tomatoes, watermelon, red grapes, and lettuce,, and pumpkins.
    It is amazing what I can feed the girls, and the quality of their eggs after.
    Of course I'll never let anyone else know where I live.
    Sorry, we get the leftovers for 1 doz. per week in trade.

New Orleans is better than you think, this is year round that they get this type of food.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by