My chickens eating birdseed and ignoring pellets; what to do?

GardenerGal

Crowing
15 Years
Dec 20, 2008
Massachusetts
Well, ever since I started throwing a scoop of birdseed into the run every day to keep the chickens busy, they are scarfing it all down and ignoring their layer pellets. The birdseed is okay nutritionally (millet, small sunflower seeds, cracked corn, milo, plus calcium carbonate) but not nutritionally balanced. Although they also get kitchen scraps and weekly treats of fishfood flakes (for protein) I really want my birds to eat their pellets. They used to eat it fine before I spoiled them with the scratch. How can I "wean" them off birdseed and back to their Blue Seal feed, without depriving them of scratch altogether?

Last edited:
You don't have to "wean" them just cut back on the birdseed, if they're hungry they'll eat what's available to them.

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

That definitely is the commonsense answer.
smile.png
The problem I've had is that I already tried that. The chooks ate what little scratch was there, then went hungry all day. They wouldn't touch the pellets (I've tried crumbles too, to no avail, even though it sort of looks like scratch). At dusk they all had empty crops. I was too softhearted and caved -- put out some scratch and they stuffed themselves like they hadn't eaten in days.

Guess I'll have to harden up, huh?
hmm.png

Take away the scratch completely until they start eating the pellets again. Then give them a LITTLE...just a handful or two (depending on how many birds you have). I leave mine in the coop/run until 8am or later, so they eat pellets until they are let out to free range. On my days off (I work 12 hour shifts) I will throw them out some scratch during the day sometime...just a few handfuls, not a whole scoop. Then if they don't find enough to eat free ranging they will usually go back to the coop and eat pellets again before bedtime. If they get hungry enough they will eat those pellets!

Thanks - timely info - I'm dealing with the same issue. I do offer the pellet food in a bowl with some water first thing in the morning & they will eat that. I have backed off on treats.

D'Angelo N Va. :

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

Double
thumbsup.gif
A chicken won't starve itself if appropriate food is available to them. Just get a bit hard hearted.​

Back
Top Bottom