My Chickens eggs are a little weird... She's okay right?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cranzenbach, Feb 4, 2016.

1. cranzenbach

cranzenbach Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2015
    Forest Ranch, CA
    So sorry for the morbid photos but I got a few elongated eggs and I was wondering if my hen was 100% okay. They've only been laying for a few weeks and they are Bantams but he eggs just look like 2 almost fused together :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. potato chip

potato chip lunch-sharer

3. chicklover 1998

chicklover 1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    every hen has her own egg shape hers is just how it comes out

4. chicklover 1998

chicklover 1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    her eggs are fine just shaped differently occasionally one of my girls gives me a "bullet" egg.

5. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    I get more than my share of torpedo eggs too. I get 'em from pullets and I have one 2 year old EE who thinks she's a munitions factory and blue torpedoes are her job. Nothing to worry about - at least I haven't ever found a reason to worry. However, some of the bigger torpedoes sure don't make it easy to close the cartons sometimes! [​IMG]

6. cranzenbach

cranzenbach Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2015
    Forest Ranch, CA
    Thanks guys ;)

7. AuntNomi

AuntNomi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2015
    Callahan, Florida!

Yeah I busted 2 eggs the other day not paying attention that they were too big for the carton when I closed it!

8. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    I can always tell my RIR girl's eggs from anyone else because they are torpedo shaped. She's just always laid them like that and she's fine.

Don't think you have anything to worry about!

9. Spartan22

Spartan22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    North Canton, Ohio

That's bizarre, I also have a Rhode Island Red that lays torpedo shape eggs. She's been laying since July last year 4x a week. She's not one of my consistent layer.

10. rebrascora

rebrascora Overrun With Chickens

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    Yes my RIR lays torpedo shaped eggs too. They are difficult if not impossible to tell which end has the air sack, just from looking at them. I never know which way up to put them in the egg box although it's been a good while since I've had that dilemma as it's been a long while (far too long!) since she laid any. Typical when I would really like to hatch more of her chicks.

My leghorns mostly lay very round eggs and I have some barnyard mutts that lay long thin eggs but with a noticeably pointy and blunt end. My legbar, now sadly deceased, used to lay almost triangular shaped ones. She was killed by a dog rather than as a result of laying add shaped eggs though.

I think we have become conditioned to the shape colour and size of supermarket eggs that it's a bit of a shock when they don't all come out of our own chickens like that, Having seen nothing but brown eggs all my life, my white leghorn eggs were a real novelty and still do amaze me, even though I now have blue, green and olive and flesh/pink coloured egg layers as well as my dark brown speckled wellie eggs. The different shapes seem to fascinate me less although I do mentally register which hens lay the most unusual shapes.

I have to say that the photo of your eggs in the pan strike me as being hardly unusual at all. Mine are significantly more different than that and as Blooie says, make closing the carton a challenge.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by