My Chicken's Eye is Cloudy...what's wrong? (Newbie!)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ponysyd, Jan 23, 2013.

1. ponysyd

ponysyd New Egg

Jan 23, 2013
    Hey I am a relatively new chicken owner. I have 8 hens and all has been well until today when I noticed one of my hen's eyes was cloudy. There didn't appear to be pus or anything, and she's eating and drinking normally. All the other girls appear just fine as well.

I don't really know how to describe it other than cloudiness so I've attached some pictures.

This is the cloudy eye.
    [​IMG]

For comparison, this is her other eye that's completely normal. She looks very grouchy in these pictures, but she's really not! Guess she wasn't pleased about having her photo taken. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

She lives in Vermont where it's currently 0 degrees F and the low tonight is -18!! They have a ceramic heater and a heat lamp though so they are not frozen.They have not been interested in going outside but they have seemed quite happy inside. Maybe something from being cooped up?

I asked my local feed store and they suggested some Vetericyn Eye Wash. I tried that this afternoon but I obviously haven't have enough time to see results.

Any ideas or advice as to what this might be? And what else I can do?

Thanks so much!

2. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    Welcome to BYC. [​IMG]

How old is she? He pupil is smaller than the normal eye too. I know Marek's is also galled "Gray Eye" because it can leave eyes cloudy.

3. ponysyd

ponysyd New Egg

Jan 23, 2013
    I am not 100% sure how old she since I did not get her as a chick. I believe she is about 2 though...

I don't know anything about Marek's but I will do some more research. Seems like I can't do anything if it's that can I? What are the chances it is? Is it contagious? What about human contact?

4. ponysyd

ponysyd New Egg

Jan 23, 2013
    She is laying. If that helps with age as well...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by