My chickens eye is swollen!

Ella_r_ab

Chirping
Mar 8, 2021
I have a (bantam) hen who is about 7-8 months old that lags had amazing health until a few days ago. I noticed her eye was a little swollen but thought it would go away (it’s happened before). Then I came into the coop today to do some checkups and I find this. I have no clue what to do. She’s my baby and I adore her. Please help!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    448 KB · Views: 13
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    586.7 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    502.2 KB · Views: 1
Where are you located in the world?

Bubbles and swelling of the facial tissue with mucous is often Mycoplasma which is a respiratory disease. Birds remain carriers and can become symptomatic over and over again and also pass the disease on to other chickens.
Some folks manage symptoms with antibiotics. Tylan/Tylosin, Tetracyclines and Tiamulin (Denagard) can be used to treat symptoms. The eye needs to be flushed, the pus removed or pressed out and an eye ointment applied to the eye. Do this daily 2-3 times a day.

If there is a bad odor, then you may be dealing with Infectious Coryza. A sulfa antibiotic is needed to treat symptoms. Again, the bird remains a carrier. The eye still needs to be cleaned out.

Testing can help you determine the cause. If you have vet care, that is best.

Back
Top Bottom