My chickens eye is watery and looks kind of sunken in!!!

Brandon14

In the Brooder
Feb 2, 2017
One of my hen's eyes are really watery almost like mucus and it looks like it sunk into her head a little and there is a milky substance around the eye.

Can you post some photos of the eye?
Does it look like she has been pecked or has an injury to they eye?
Any other symptoms of respiratory illness like coughing, sneezing, mucous from the nostrils?
Have you added any new birds to your flock within the last 30days?

For general care of eyes - flush with saline or sterile water, try to remove any discharge, pus or mucous you see. Apply an ointment that is labeled for use in the eyes like Vetericyn eye gel or Terramycin eye ointment.

I looked closer and the area around the eye is swollen and that is why it looks sunken in.The eye was glued shut but i opened it by dabbing a wet washcloth on her eye

IMG_20170725_094900.jpg

Is she coughing, sneezing or sounding congested?

Try to clean the eye the best you can. Using a warm compress like you did can help loosen it and get it open. Flush it with saline and apply one of the ointments listed in the previous post.

Update: Her eye was looking like the swelling was going down for a while but today it is back where it started.Also when i pick her up she does this grunt.

I think she has some kind of sinus infection and we don't have the money to take her to the vet

Back
Top Bottom