My chickens eye

Wyatt_payne9

In the Brooder
Jun 25, 2021
My chickens recently got attacked by two large dogs, only one of the 15 chickens got killed, all the baby chickens were fine surprisingly, but two of the older chickens were badly injured (sort of), one of them have trouble walking, they hobble when they walk, and the rooster has a bite on his back, and he’s been keeping one of his eyes half closed for some reason, and I was wondering If it’s serious or not, I couldn’t get a picture of his eye though, this one just shows his back, also the rooster is the black and white one

Attachments

• 5EC12A99-6557-48D0-B3B1-24E7D305A74B.jpeg
    5EC12A99-6557-48D0-B3B1-24E7D305A74B.jpeg
    491.4 KB · Views: 14
Are you treating the wounds? They can get infected if you don't clean them and use antibiotic ointment every day.

For the injured eyes, they need flushing with saline and you can use the same ointment in them as you use for the other wounds.

Have you treated for shock? It may have a delayed effect and chickens do die from it if untreated. Here's my protocol for treating the survivors of a predator attack.

1. Treat for shock as the number one step. Give warm Gatoraid or mix a half teaspoon of sugar into a fourth of a cup of warm water with a pinch of salt and baking soda. Have the patient drink it all or syringe it into the beak.

2. Flush the wound well with saline. This is better than soap and water as it maintains the PH of the tissues. But warm soap and water will do. You need to wash away the bacteria from the wound.

3. Inspect the wound carefully. If it has a skin flap dangling, keep that. Do not cut it off. Look for bite or puncture makes indicating a puncture wound. If you see this, the patient will need an oral antibiotic such as amoxicillin. https://www.kvsupply.com/item/aqua-mox-250mg-capsules-100-count/P06184/250mg once a day for ten days.

4. Spray with Vetericyn wound treament and let dry. Use a topical antibiotic ointment such as Neosporin or a generic without pain killer in it to coat the wound. If there's a skin flap, lay it across the wound that has just been coated with the ointment. Then smooth on a generous amount over the top of the skin flap to hold it in place.

5. It's useless to try to stitch a wound on a chicken. Don't even try. It's also useless to try to bandage a wound other than on the feet. The chicken will not tolerate it. It will be pulled off faster than you can blink an eye.

6. Clean the wound every day following the above steps. Keep the wound covered with the ointment. Never allow the wound to get dried out or it will not heal.

He was in shock for a day or two, and his wounds seem to be dried, the only problem I see with him is his eye, besides that and the missing back feathers he’s fine. The black hen is the one I worry more about, she can walk but she limps, besides the limping she’s fine though

I think it will heal up fine. Just give it some time.
It’s a little worse than it was yesterday for some reason, he doesn’t seem to care about it still, he’s started back crowing though

Attachments

• BE2ACFF3-A235-4F07-B35C-B1E2A03AA430.jpeg
    BE2ACFF3-A235-4F07-B35C-B1E2A03AA430.jpeg
    345.8 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom