My chickens eyes are swollen almost shut

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lvbowen, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Lvbowen

Lvbowen New Egg

Feb 14, 2016
    Yesterday my hen was fine today I went out and her eyes were swollen shut. I thought it was eye worms but I used Vetrx and no worms. Her eyes seemed better when I washed them and then put neosporin in them. They continue to swell shut unless I clean them
    And put ointment in. She is very chirpy and has lots of energy. I am now putting her on corid but please if anyone knows what this is or how to treat it I would be very appreciative.
    Also she is in a coop with three others and no others have signs.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. chicklover 1998

chicklover 1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    Did you press around to me it looks like eye worms on that bad side, the medicine itself does not alway get them all out.

3. Lvbowen

Lvbowen New Egg

Feb 14, 2016
    Yes pressed around and nothing

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    That probably is a respiratory sinus infection, more than likely MG (mycoplasma gallisepticum) or infectious coryza. Those are both contagious and can make carriers of the flock. Treatment with antibiotics such as Tylan for MG and Sulmet for coryza are used often. Is there a bad odor, different from the other chickens? That is common with coyza. Keep the chicken warm and separate dfrom others while she is sick. Read about those two diseases here: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

5. gotro17

gotro17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2015
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    MS

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by