My chicken's face and neck is swollen.

CeeCee3

In the Brooder
Mar 19, 2021
East Texas
I have no idea whats wrong with my chicken. Her face and neck are swollen so bad it looks painful and like its about to pop. First noticed it yesterday. Thought it had a wasp sting or snake bite. But swelling hasnt gone down. She seems healthy otherwise.

Attachments

• 20210407_154639.jpg
    20210407_154639.jpg
    414.5 KB · Views: 81
Where are you located? Is there any lethargy or other symptoms? Have the temperatures been below freezing? The things that I know of that may cause swollen wattles are frostbite, infectious coryza, fowl cholera, and tick bites or bee stings. In tick bites the swollen wattles may become bluish due to an anticoagulant secreted by the tick. If you suspect a tick or insect sting, you could try giving 1/2 tablet of 25 mg benadryl.

Where are you located? Is there any lethargy or other symptoms? Have the temperatures been below freezing? The things that I know of that may cause swollen wattles are frostbite, infectious coryza, fowl cholera, and tick bites or bee stings. In tick bites the swollen wattles may become bluish due to an anticoagulant secreted by the tick. If you suspect a tick or insect sting, you could try giving 1/2 tablet of 25 mg benadryl.
We are in east texas and the weather has been between 50 and 75. No other symptoms other than moving a little slower than usual. I thought it was a bite except that its been swollen for more than a day. Thought it should be better by now. I'll try some benadryl. Thank you for the advice. Anybody else got any ideas?

Didnt have any benadryl and all stores were closed already. I'll have to go to the store in the morning.

You mentioned frostbite. There were 3 of my hens that got out of their cage and wouldnt come back during the recent texas below zero freeze. They were scared because I was knocking the snow off the roof. While they were out in the snow and freezing rain they got frostbite. They seemed to heal well and havent seen any residual effects.

What about a snake bite? I'm out in the country and I see snakes pretty often. Think maybe it could be?

I've also noticed a bit of discharge under her eyes like we would have if we had an eye infection. And I dont know which chicken, but one of them has had a nasty black runny stinky fly drawing poop for about 3 or 4 days.

And I forgot to ask if I should have her isolated from the others?

Here's an update on my sick chic. I noticed the other hens pecking at her ouwie and it was obviously painful. I took her and put her into isolation and gave her benadryl. Almost immediately, before the meds kicked in, she perked up and seemed much happier. She's still acting like she is feeling a lot better. I suspect she was bit by a snake. Either way, the swelling hasn't gotten any better, but she hasn't gotten any worse either. I believe she's gonna be okay. Thanks to everyone for helping.

Back
Top Bottom