My chickens faces are going white.....what's up?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by guineafowlguy, Feb 15, 2013.

1. guineafowlguy

guineafowlguy Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2013
    Every night when i lock up my chickens i usually do a small inspection to see how my chickens are doing.

One night i looked at one of my bard rocks and she had some white stuff on here face. She didn't look like there was anything wrong with her so i though maybe she went fluffing in some really white dirt or something lol.

Well every day after that there was a little more white until here face was completely white. Know another chicken is starting to get a white face. They don't look sick or anything. They haven't lost any weight they just went white.

Does anyone know what is up?

2. flood

flood Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2012
    Oklahoma
  3. guineafowlguy

guineafowlguy Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2013
    I first tried dosing them with tea tree oil because it was supposed to be an anti microbial. And i think it can be used as an anti fungus too. Sadly though it didn't help them much. Later i read the athletes foot medication was an anti fungus so i got some of that and tried it.

I think it worked. The old infected skin has started to peel off and new healthy skin is underneath it.

Does anyone know how long i am supposed to treat them?

Thanks

4. flood

flood Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2012
    Oklahoma
    Sorry, I know it's probably been too long for a reply but I treated mine according to human directions. 7 days for Lotramin. (sp?)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by