1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My chickens find CATPOOP and FEATHERS delicious?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ArtCaptain, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Cat poop

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. feathers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. other (comment if you want)

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. ArtCaptain

ArtCaptain Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2014
    The IE in CA
    I have two 5 month old Naked Necks/Turkens who like to eat catpoop and feathers. [​IMG]Does anyone know how to stop this behavior??

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Runs With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Sounds like they are looking for more protein in their diet, what are you currently feeding them, I would recommend a good quality grower with at least 18% protein.

3. ArtCaptain

Dec 13, 2014
    The IE in CA
    I'm just feeding them scratch feed. Do you know any other types of feed that have more protein?

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Runs With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Scratch is too low in protein, it's used mainly to give chickens something to scratch and peck around at, more for mental stimulation. I would recommend you find a premade feed, either an all flock or a non medicated grower, your chickens are craving a better diet, cat poop has a lot of protein in it and feathers too. If you are not careful they will begin to peck each other for blood, and that doesn't usually end well.

5. ArtCaptain

Dec 13, 2014
    The IE in CA
    This is good to know. Thanks![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by