My chickens got attacked by something. 2 are missing and 1 is alive.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by TMCAK12312, Dec 24, 2013.

1. TMCAK12312

TMCAK12312 New Egg

Dec 24, 2013
    Howdy, so i used to have 6 chickens and still have 3 ducks and a Banty. On thanksgiving two of my chickens got attacked and eaten because all that was left behind were feathers. and Now today, Christmas Eve (What a Coincidence?) Three of my chickens got attacked and only 1 survived. but the problem is, is that it has a huge hole in its left side rear-ish end area and its intestines are hanging out and i can see parts of its inside. it drinks water and walks just fine (i don't know how its still alive in the first place) and it also tried jumping up on the roosting poles but couldn't keep balance or something. its also hard for it to make any noise at all. I really need help on what to do. Do i keep it and try to nurture it back to health, take it to the vet, or take it out of its misery? i really dont want to kill it because it can get around and eat and drink just fine. so what do i do, thanks yall so much!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC - sorry for the circumstances. If the wound extends into the abdominal cavity, and you can actually see intestines and internal organs, the humane thing is to dispatch the bird immediately. Make sure that the enclosure for the ducks is predator proof, because it will be back.

1 person likes this.
  3. RockerHen

RockerHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Chappells, SC
    X2

4. TMCAK12312

TMCAK12312 New Egg

Dec 24, 2013
    Hey guys, Thanks for your input. Sad stuff. We ended up on that night putting it down. it was too bad and it was in way to much pain. and yes, we have an enclosure with chicken wire and then field fence right behind it and chicken wire over the top nailed to the roof of the chicken coop. then outside the coop pen, there is a choral with cattle panels so they could sleep outside the coop and pen as long as they were on the right sides of the fence where its safe. its a very safe area. but the thing is is that we open the coop and they free roam the farm every morning and all day then head back in at night, but the chickens were always the first in, and the ducks sit right by the coop door tell we go out and herd them in and lock the coop door. then we go inside the coop and do a "Beak Check". but that one night i did not do a beak check and i figured they were in since the ducks were in 'their spot' by the door, so i herded them in an closed the door. but i did not hear any noises or signs that there could have been chickens out and to be honest i didnt pay attention. the next morning i went out, and there were 3 piles of feathers right on the outside of the coop fencing, and there were trails of feathers that lead in all directions, and since they were all killed on the same night, and my dad is a Game Warden, he was lead to believe it was just the 'normal' Coyote.
    Well thanks so much for your time and God Bless :)

5. TMCAK12312

TMCAK12312 New Egg

Dec 24, 2013
    Also, i forgot to mention, i am lead to believe that it happened right about sun down, which is about 4;30 or 5 ish and we dont go out tell about 8 ish to give them time to head in by themselves.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by