My chickens got diarrhea and it smells!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by krazychick28, Feb 20, 2011.

1. krazychick28

krazychick28 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2011
    Ugh! My new chickens I got, apparently have diarrhea and it stinks, BAD! The poop is a reddish brown color. Is there any natural remedies I can use to help my poor chickies?[​IMG]

2. krazychick28

Feb 13, 2011
    Someone help!

3. chickerdoodle

chickerdoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
    Hello

Blood in diarrhea can mean cocci. Search for it and you'll find treatments--usually a sulfur medication. cecal droppings are much smellier too--but they only have one a couple of times a day whereas normal droppings are not so potent smelling. Too much protein can make them smellier too --its the ammonia. Here is the poop page to compare: http://chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?PHPSESSID=de406bec9142ea353485ff41d5f747dc&topic=17568.0

Please
    fill this out to the best of your ability:
    Give us the following information. The more you tell us, the better we will be able to help you.

1) What type of bird , age and weight.
    2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

Remember that we are not veterinarians. We help based on our own research and experiences.
    We cannot monitor the board 24/7, and therefore do not guarantee we can always help, much as we would wish to.
    We should never be a replacement if real medical attention is required.
    If your situation seems to require a trip to the vet, please do so. It is always a good idea to know of an avian vet in your area in case your situation is bad enough that we cannot help. We encourage you to visit the Reference Forum and read up there before you need the information.

4. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    sounds like normal cecal poo. Post a pic and we can tell you if it is something to worry about or not

5. krazychick28

Feb 13, 2011
    I watched my australorp poop out a orangey looking poo. Kinda matches the cecal poo from the website you gave me. The bird is about a year old. I just got the chicken 2 days ago and its not really hungry. The hen and its 2 other friends who came with it are a Plymouth Rock and a Red Production. All of them have been just clucking constantly and they are scaring the other hens. My other hens have been avoiding them and when i went out this morning to feed them nobody wanted to eat. I just gave my hens a bowl of yogurt and they have been looking at it, but show no interest in eating any. None of the chickens appear to have any broken bones. But my one buffer silkie appears to be really skinny and her crop is very large. I spent a half hour massaging her crop and hand fed her some yogurt. That seemed to help a little bit. My one hen, whom I have had for 2 years, and im not sure what kind of breed she is, she is always the first to the bowl because she is the elder hen, and not even she wanted to eat this morning! Im so worried

Quote:

6. chickengrl

chickengrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Uh oh, Did you bring new birds into your flock without quarantine time to make sure they are healthy? This problem with the new birds might be infectious. Can you remove them and put them somewhere else? Really sorry, but this is a common error with new chicken keepers. How do I know? Yeah, we did it and have lost some birds from not knowing any better. If you can, get them separated. Are there any other symptoms? I am not an expert (not even close!), but others on here may be able to help. Good luck! [​IMG]

7. krazychick28

Feb 13, 2011
    I didn't have anywhere else to put them. [​IMG]
    I hand fed my chickens yogurt this morning and I checked them out real good. I think if they were sick they wouldn't lay any eggs. And the one hen I thought was sick, cause she is usually the first to eat, laid an egg. Maybe they were all filled up on bread or something.

8. chickengrl

chickengrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    sorry you are having to deal with this. Hopefully, its just the stress of a new place and all. Some of my hens have continued to lay after they were sick and some stopped. Just keep a close eye on them. Did you think it looked red like blood? Chickerdoodle suggested it could be cocci and that can be treated with medication. Unfortunately, natural remedies seem to be great to prevent but sometimes you have to get the big guns and use antibiotics and such when necessary. Good luck!

9. krazychick28

Feb 13, 2011
    What kind of meds should I get for cocci? Even if they dont have cocci, I will treat them anyway to be safe

10. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    Please don't medicate them if you don't know for sure that they need it. If you post a pic of the poo you are worried about then we can tell you if it is normal or not, I still think it sounds like cecal poo which is perfectly normal. It could be that the hens are just confused and upset over the changes that have been made.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by