My chickens got their first taste of yogurt yesterday

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Robin'sBrood, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    and they loved it!

They're so funny, those birds. Anytime I give them something new to eat, at first they walk over and look at it. Then they walk away and try to act like they're not interested in it. Then, curiosity gets the better of them and ONE finally gets the nerve up to try it. As soon as one takes the plunge, here come the rest to try it out. [​IMG]

Yesterday evening they took the plunge into this [​IMG] Is nonfat good for them or should I get the whole milk kind instead?

2. Lea71

Lea71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Messy little fiasco isn't it? [​IMG] Good question though...I give my girls Strauss organic, whole-milk plain yogurt. Anyone have an anwser? Is too much milk fat bad?

3. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    i just gave mine the same thing! they are all over it like, uh, well chickens on yogurt! they like it with strawberry hulls.

i used the full fat, i don't know if it is super healthy or not, but i only give them a little bit.
    miss prissy knows all about the yogurt thingy...

4. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    I make Miss Prissy's yogurt & the girls love it.

So do I!!

Try it - it's WAY cheaper than buying a quart, not to mention it's super easy & healthy. Look in Miss Prissy's signature for the link to her recipe. I make it with 2% milk.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by