my chickens hate snow!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by oceanbird, Dec 17, 2007.

1. oceanbird

oceanbird Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2007
    I live in New England and we now have lotds of snow and it looks like more on the way this week. When I opened the door to their coop they are all excited but then they see the snow and just stare at it and never leave the coop. It's going to be a long wonter for them if they won't come out in the snow!

2. peepkeeper

peepkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2007
    upstate New York
    Same with my chickens, the big wimps. I tell them that they live in the Adirondack mountains, and if they're waiting for sunshine they'll wait a long, long time, but they won't listen. Here they are on the plank saying "Hey! Who turned off the grass?"

[​IMG]

3. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    Well, that is one problem her in NC that I will not likely have to deal with, lol!!

4. thechickenfarmer

thechickenfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Connecticut
    Mine don't like it either. I keep a bail of hay in the coop and spread it around the run for them, only then will they go out. [​IMG] Jen

5. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    I just got through shoveling the chicken run!! How many of you crazy chicken people have done that this morning? Poor babies, I just hate the thought of them being cooped up all day. Spreading hay sounds like a good idea, tho!

6. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    My silkies are indoor chickens and when I put them in the snow for fresh air they were trying to hop/fly to the porch. It was funny [​IMG]

7. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    I MADE my dh cover our run in clear plastic just before the first snow. Thank goodness! They go out in the run every day, but open the run door to go outside and... it's totally anticlimatic. Poor girls.. little do they realize that this is MAINE and this'll be with us until April, at least.

Meghan

8. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

None of mine wanted to ice skate this week either [​IMG] now that ice is gone.........they still wont come out of run.......maybe they forgot how? [​IMG]

9. peepkeeper

peepkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2007
    upstate New York
    I just got through shoveling the chicken run!! How many of you crazy chicken people have done that this morning?

::raises hand:: Me! We got about 2 feet over the weekend. I didn't shovel the whole 10 by 20 run, but enough that they can go out and walk around and get some air. Wimps that they are, they went out and then went right back in again. that's gratitude. [​IMG]

10. newchickowner

newchickowner Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2007
    Texas
    sheesh!!! I'm a FL gal, WHO COULD BLAME THEM???? I wouldn't go out either!!!!! It's hard for me to go outside where I'm at now in TX, and it's not likely to snow here at all!!!! A little ice, some sleet (see! I don't even know if that's how you spell that! [​IMG] ) and it's an indoor, raging fire in the fireplace for me!

If I lived where it snowed though I'd be out there in the run shoveling away for my babies for sure!!! (with my b/f laughing at me the whole time! [​IMG] )

Last edited: Dec 17, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by