My chickens have become very submissive to me. Am I the only one?

edible_chicken

Songster
8 Years
May 15, 2011
Ohio
I noticed after my chickens laid their first egg last week that whenever I check on my chickens, they run to me (they have always done that) and will kneel down and flap their wings back. the runt started it first and few days later all five of my chickens started doing it. they don't exhibit this behavior every time i come check on them, but if pick one up, she'll kneel down flap her wings back. all five do the same thing if i pick them up.

Same observation for me too. The birds avoided contact when growing up even though we raised and handled them when they were chicks. It is nice now that they are once again people friendly.

Quote:
When they do this, reach down and give them a little scratch on their back and then scratch them at the base of their tail. They will fluff up all their feathers and walk away happy. Mine all do this to me and my son. I have even seen them do it when my dog walks by them. This is a sign of maturaty. Expect to get some eggs anytime soon. Could be a couple of days or a couple of weeks.

Mine have been doing this too. They love to be petted and scratched. One of them even likes to be held now.
smile.png

Your girls don't just like you, they LIKE-like you. *wink wink nudge nudge say no more*

One of my 17-week-old Dominiques started squatting for my DH and for me last week (the little hussy is spreading her affections around). I scritch her hackle feathers, pat her on the back by her tail, and pat her on her bum, and she fluffs up and goes off looking for the chicken version of a cigarette. I'm sure our most hormonal SS cockerel would be more than happy to make a half-baked attempt to give her what she wants, or at least stand on her back looking a bit lost, but she pecks at him if he approaches her. Apparently my husband and I are the manliest roos around.

Back
Top Bottom