My chickens have FINALLY started laying..PIC's INCL...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Hangin Wit My Peeps, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Well my Wyandotte, Barred rock and either my Buff Brahma or Salmon Faverolle have started laying today at 23 weeks and 5 days old [​IMG] Today I got FOUR eggs out of the 11 girls I have. The huge one is from Olivia (My barred rock hen) They are the four eggs in the front. The fourth one I didn't mention was from my sex link hen who started laying at 20 weeks [​IMG] She has laid an egg a day except for one day ever since.

[​IMG]

2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Sigh..."finally" after only 23 weeks? LUCK-E-DUCK!!! I have a couple 29-week old juvies that haven't even begun to pink up. I think they've decided not to start until the spring....sigh.....

Pretty eggs!

3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Oh man I would be going nuts if mine were 29 weeks and not laying. I sure hope you get some eggs SOON. What type of chickens do you have that you are waiting on? I will make sure I don't get those!

4. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

Meh, I beat ya there. Mine are 31 weeks and some are JUST starting to get a little bit red. I only have 2 laying out of 10. :mad:

5. Sequin

Sequin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Very pretty eggs!!! They are really quite lovely.

I have given up on who might be laying and who isn't. I have a couple guesses that I have Maybe 3 of the 5 laying, but we are still only getting a couple eggs a day. Sometimes we don't get any for a day!! So, I figure, they are healthy and we do get something daily from them and that is fine with us for now. Especially being that winter and darker shorter days are here. I have to make space now for a brooder in our laundry room so we can raise the chicks for spring laying. Yay. [​IMG]

6. abelseville

abelseville Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2008
    Loudoun County, VA
    Can someone tell me what "just pinking up" and "just starting to get red mean??. By the way I have 10 black copper marans that have just started laying at 29 weeks. Its maddening!

7. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

Their combs and wattles will grow bigger and get red. Too young to lay = tiny combs and wattles that are very light pink.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by