My chickens have lice and scaly leg mites! Help! What to buy for them?!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by farmgirl1536, Dec 16, 2013.

1. farmgirl1536

farmgirl1536 New Egg

Oct 5, 2013
    Australia
    I currently bought some roosters at an auction and an Indian runner duck. I'm not sure where the parasites came from but I'm sure I never had them before in my flock. So im guessing they came from those birds. About four months after we acquired the birds I noticed the birds were very irritated. I checked under where their perches join the wall and I found a seeming mass of red mites. I quickly sprayed the hen house and treated all the birds within a week and a month later there were no more red mites. Then I discovered the other day (after we had gotten some from a friend) that the ones we had gotten from a friend had lice at the base of their tails. They also had crusty bleeding legs. Im glad I haven't put them near my other poultry yet. I can't find any treatments locally for lice and scaly legs mites I can only find red mite treatment. Does anyone know where to get good treatment for these birds I have a full time job and I need something quick and simple maybe like a spot on or pour on?:confused:

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  2. farmgirl1536

farmgirl1536 New Egg

Oct 5, 2013
    Australia
    [​IMG]This is the rooster's leg.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Whatever you use, the coop litter and nest boxes will all have to be emptied, cleaned and sprayed as well. For mites and lice, permethrin spray or powder and 5% carbaryl (sevin) dust is commonly used on chickens and repeat in 7 days to get eggs. Some other people on here recommend Ravap, a combination of dichlorvos and stirofos to spray coops.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by