My chickens have spots on their combs. Advice please!

FlaChicknorris

Hatching
Jul 27, 2017
This morning I noticed my dear chicks have developed black spots on their combs. I'm so worried. I live in Florida. It's been very hot and humid with lots of mosquitos. What's wrong with them and what should I do. They're still eating good & laid eggs today. Thanks for your advice. I've attached a picture.
20170727_124046.jpg

Hi :frow
Welcome to BYC!
We are so glad you joined our coop.
Could you post a couple more pics, possible clearer. I kinda see some black spots on one..they could be scabs from being pecked or signs of fowl pox.
This video should help you find your way around the site.

Dry Pox due to mosquitos, not much you can do but keep an eye on it. Dry pox is "better" than the Wet when I first became aware of it myself. Search it on BYC for more info & how to treat (wet). I live in HI so understand & know the humid hot (worst here), left my girls alone & eventually the scabs dropped off, thank goodness but I did panic. One started with a huge scab, eventually the rest ended up with scabs. I watched that no one peck at each other as the scabs fell off, I was lucky.

DSC03205.JPG
DSC03204.JPG

Here's another pic. I did find some info on fowl pox & think that's it. I read to put iodine or triple antibiotic on them? I wonder if that will help. Are their eggs safe to eat?
20170727_124114.jpg

Back
Top Bottom