1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My chickens have stoped laying!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by french amebas, Oct 23, 2009.

1. french amebas

french amebas New Egg

Jun 15, 2008
    Hello. I am currently the proud owner of 3 chickens, one Rode Island Red, one Leghorn, and one Easter egger. We got the Rode Island Red at the beginning of the summer and she layed eggs for a few weeks and then stopped. Our leghorn started laying an egg a day around the end of summer and then stopped at the first rain. Is there something that we can do to get them to start laying again?

Thanks

2. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    Hens can be pretty unreliable, but you can make good conditions to induce laying more.

They need 13-14 hours of daylight, so add a light to compensate for lack of sunshine. I don't know if cloudy (rainy) days has anything to do with the light factor.

The diet is REALLY important, sometimes layer pellets alone just aren't enough. Scratch definately isn't enough. I mix layer pellets with a show bird feed (the showbird feed has 24% protein and is awesome for feathers) 2:1. Sprinkle some oyster shell over that, and mix it in. I also add sunflower seeds to make them fat for winter. The seeds are deshelled and crumbled, by Katee, found in the parrot food area of a pet store. Just a 1/4 cup. They also get kitchen scraps and free range time for bugs/plants.

Think of egg laying as being pregnant. Corn just isn't enough to get a girl through it! They need a varied and healthy diet with good protein and calcium. A daily egg takes a lot of work!

I started this diet and added a light a week ago, and yesterday I get a perfect little white egg from my oldest hen. It really was perfect, good shell, even color, big yellow yolk (not bad for a teeny Bantam hen, I was expecting it to be smaller!)

ETA: They also need to be "happy". Not enough room, not enough exercise, stress, ect... can make them not lay. I remember coons trying to get into my coop a long time ago the last time I had chickens, and I didn't get any eggs for 4 days. Gave them quite a scare! When I moved them to winter quarters, they didn't like the change, and no eggs for a week. Picky things, I tell ya!

Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
  3. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    also most hens are molting right now and they tend to not lay while all their excess protien is going into making new feathers. Some hens can really drag this out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by