My Chickens have stopped dirt bathing

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jjjjiggs, Oct 22, 2016.

1. jjjjiggs

jjjjiggs New Egg

May 29, 2016
    Vancouver, BC
    HI All,

I am on the Westcoast, and we have had a ton of rain. My girls are just turning 1 years old.

They used to use their dust bath I had in the run for them until about 6 months ago when I just started leaving the outside coop door open so they could go free range in our yard all day. They return well before our automatic door closes to the actual coop for the night. It has worked out great. They have found their favorite spot under the Hydrangeas to do their bathing. A bunch of big potholes.

Problem, is it has been wet for weeks, and there is no evidence of them going back to using the old bathing bin that is still in the run.

Do I need to be worried? Do they stop bathing so much in the Winter?
    Will they eventually give in and go where there is only dry dirt (in the run)?

Thanks for your help!

Jiggs

2. Newmamabear

Newmamabear Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2016
    Alberta
    Maybe they just feel cleaner with thier hydrangea dirt? Can you scoop some of it and put it into thier dust bowl in the coop? It may take a little while to dry but might entice them if they are looking a bit scruffy [​IMG]

3. jjjjiggs

jjjjiggs New Egg

May 29, 2016
    Vancouver, BC
    I will try anything. The funny thing is the dirt that is is the run is the same dirt I took from the garden by the bushes.

4. Newmamabear

Newmamabear Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2016
    Alberta
    Lol no accounting for the tastes of chickens hey [​IMG] Might be that it's just a pretty space for a nice bath. You can only try [​IMG]

5. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Peeps are a-peeping Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    They will dust bathe as they need to. They just might not have much of a parasite load at the moment. Also they won't dust bathe if the soil is wet. They require it to be dry and powdery.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I would not worry.....micro-managing dust bathing is fruitless.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by