My Chickens have stopped laying eggs

TSW99

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 7, 2014
Tallahassee Fl
Last weekend my chickens moved coops they went from a small coop to a big coop and new members have been added to the flock (which are not laying yet). I got a couple of eggs the first day then the next day it went to a halt getting no eggs except for my ducks. I figured it was just stress so I wasn't worried about it but now being a week later I got a whole two eggs from my chickens in that time. the nest boxes are on the ground maybe this has something to do with the problem? back at the old coop I only had one nest box so I figured they would like all the new room. for nest boxes I have two buckets nest one wooden nest box and one made from cinderblocks. I don't get why they are still not laying? one other note they went from free ranging to a large run I will still let them free range when they start laying again I don't want them to hide their eggs outside like I have a problem with in the past.
but I don't know what's going on any suggestions?

You changed their coop. You changed the flock dynamics with the addition of new birds. You've stopped their free ranging. Chickens dislike change. They will lay again, but it very well not be until the day length increases considerably.

My girls hated when I tried to train them to a mobile nest box and would not lay in it. Look around for a hidden nest, especially if they had a tendency to find their own laying spots in the past....

No hidden eggs I guess I will have to wait and see what happens
what does day light hours have to do with egg production? Because my hens have alaways laid steady year round

You changed their coop. You changed the flock dynamics with the addition of new birds. You've stopped their free ranging. Chickens dislike change. They will lay again, but it very well not be until the day length increases considerably.

Your girls are stressed, and that has put a halt to your egg production.

Hens need around 14-16 hours of daylight in order to be able to lay eggs. It is quite common for them to lay right through the year in their first year of production, but after that they will usually take a break from laying over Winter when the days are shorter and there is less light.

I suspect @sourland is correct - it might well be that your girls won't resume laying now until the days get longer.

- Krista

Your hens are now a year older. It is not at all unusual for older hens to take a break in laying during the shorter days of winter.

Back
Top Bottom