my chickens have stopped laying for some reason?!?!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by uncle rico, Oct 7, 2011.

1. uncle rico

uncle rico Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Spring Green, WI
    Hi all,

havn't been on the forum in awhile but I have a problem here. I have about 45 hens that I bought as chicks last fall. Now they're about a year old and laying real steady up to about 2-3 wks ago. This summer, we were getting about 2 1/2 doz eggs a day, now that number has crashed to about 1-2 eggs a day!! do egg layers typically drop off this far with the onset of cold weather or shorter days or is something wrong here?? They havn't been laying outside the coop or anywhere else (I checked the entire area around the coop where they typically roam (these are free-range hens i may add). I don't have any broodies at the moment either. Egg eating is not a problem either as there are no traces of that. Needless to say, I am stymied!!!

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
  3. uncle rico

uncle rico Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Spring Green, WI
    oh wait. i forgot about the molt [​IMG] this is only my 2nd year keeping chickens and totally forgot about it. that explains why i have so many feathers all over my coop! does anyone still have anything to say about it?

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

5. Amyh

Amyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    North Carolina
    Yep! I'm going through that as well. No eggs for us, but we have a smaller flock and 4 young birds are just starting to lay, so we should get enough eggs for our family for the next few months until our older girls grow back some feathers. I think for the small flock owner it's important to replace several birds per year in the Spring to help with this situation.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by