My chickens haven't laid yet......

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MamaHen8, Aug 20, 2016.

1. MamaHen8

MamaHen8 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2016
    my chickens are 5 months (22 weeks) old. none of the 3 that i have left have laid yet. should i just keep waiting? do i need to get a gen that is already laying to persue them to lay? i've changed there food already that is oyster strong. but that was almost a month ago and still nothing. any help, helps! thank you all so much!

2. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Each chicken has it's own timetable, and it doesn't often coincide with ours. I'm not sure why another hen that's already laying would make a difference - the internal workings of the other hens won't change. So much depends on the breeds or varieties of chickens you have. Red Sex Links tend to start early and others like Brahmas take their time - at least that's been my experience. I think egglaying (or not laying) causes a lot more concern than there needs to be. They'll lay when their internal clocks and systems tell them it's time. Oh, and after weeks of you checking nests two or three times a day, changing this and tweaking that, sitting and staring at them, you'll decide to take an afternoon off and head to town, only to find an egg when you get back and no idea who laid it. Silly chickens!!

If you haven't done it already, put some golf balls or fake eggs in a nest. Again, it won't MAKE them lay...but it does show them what those nest boxes are for. Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  3. MamaHen8

MamaHen8 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2016

Thank you so much for lifting my spirits about them laying!!! i think i am just so excited to have them lay that i just worry too much about it happening. thank you again!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by