My chicken's home

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by roseplummer, May 11, 2010.

1. roseplummer

roseplummer Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2010
    Anderson, IN
    Sorta tacky but they seem happy in it. It is bigger than it looks in the picture. I started with a rabbit hutch, added a baby bed that was one of the recalled ones and an old baby gate. Some fencing a tree tore down when it fell and wood from the second floor of our house also damaged by the tree. The only thing I actually paid for to use as a chicken play yard was the rabbit hutch. It has a wire top and wire around the crib rails to keep critters out. I used nails I pulled out of the wood with some wire (I may or may not have used hubby's beading wire lol) and some zip ties. I have it openable in several areas and plan to put sand down in the yard area. It is not actually close to any houses just a shed. Also pictured is my tacky privacy fence. LOL

You can see my little helper here as well LOL
    [​IMG]

View from my back door
    [​IMG]

2. Prospector

Prospector Chillin' With My Peeps

I love it!! I've been salvaging those cribs to use as rose lattice. They are wonderful!

Your space does look small, how many chickens do you have in there? Will you need to reno if they grow?

3. roseplummer

Apr 16, 2010
    Anderson, IN
    There are 10 but I am only keeping 5 maybe 6. The whole set up grows as I get inspiration (or boredom LOL) Also they get to roam under supervision.

4. Prospector

Prospector Chillin' With My Peeps

We also have 10, downsizing to 6. We have a 4X8 (overall) coop built but need to come up with a plan for a run. You look like you are in a neighbourhood. Do you have cats/rats/racoons there? I think th erabbit cage would stand up to them, but they may be able to get a paw through the cage to take a swipe at the chicks. (I think we have the same cage for our bunny).

(Your helper looks like a keeper!)

5. roseplummer

Apr 16, 2010
    Anderson, IN
    We have lots of wild bunnies but not much else. I have 4 helpers ages 11 months to 12 years.

6. clothdiaperingmom

clothdiaperingmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    Sweetwater, TX
    Last edited: May 12, 2010
  7. roseplummer

Apr 16, 2010
    Anderson, IN
    That thread is so funny! My poor hubby he goes to work and comes home and I have completely rearranged the coop LOL

I much prefer to live in the south. I moved up here for hubby.
    I also use cloth part time!

8. Marie1234

Marie1234 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2010
    Hey, don't knock that privacy fence thing you've got going on there. Tacky privacy is better than no privacy in my book. Looks like you and your helper are going to be enjoying that back yard a lot in the summer months. It's so nice to sit and watch the chickens and the kids at the same time. Looks good!

9. Ceilismom

Ceilismom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2010
    NW South Dakota
    Quote:I thought I recognized your UN from somewhere.

10. clothdiaperingmom

clothdiaperingmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    Sweetwater, TX
    Quote:I much prefer the north! I moved here for dh. I told him Im going home when the kids are grown. Its been 8 yrs too long here.
    Yay to you for cding!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by