My chickens is eating feathers off the ground

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rawheid, Oct 5, 2013.

1. rawheid

rawheid Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2013
    What should I do? She's an isa brown. Is she short on protein? She's getting 17% layer. I'm about to introduce her into another flock and I don't want her to attack and eat all their feathers.

She's made her other 2 pen mates bald in some places. What now?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  2. chookhead

chookhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    i have found that its very very normal they tend to stop eating feathers after they mature a lil if they are pecking that could be another issue but if its just off the floor dont worry

3. rawheid

Apr 8, 2013
    She's a year old which is why I'm concerned.

4. imogene08

imogene08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2013
    Florida
    I have that problem too my hen that's a SLW will sneak up behind and pluck the vent feathers off and eat them I heard its caused by Boredom as well as a
    Protein loss she has stopped doing it as much as she did but still does it mostly to the younger ones :/

5. acemario

acemario Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2012
    Northern Utah
    I don't wanna scare you, but we had a hen that did the same thing. We tried everything! Separation, isolation, game bird mix... Nothing. She just kept pecking the other hens bald. To make a long story short... We hadmtonprocess her. The other hens got their feathers back... But ever since we took "your highness" out of the flock, the other chickens haven't laid a single egg. That was probably about 3 months ago!

6. rawheid

Apr 8, 2013
    Hmm, things to watch for then.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by