My chickens keep dying

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by carriagegirl23, Feb 7, 2014.

1. carriagegirl23

carriagegirl23 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2013
    Ok so I am soooooooooooo mad right now! I have lost 7 chickens in 3 days. All ROOSTERS. whatever it is, it's only getting my roosters! I have lost a total of 15 in the past 2 months.

They start getting lazy (so to speak)... Don't eat, won't drink, start sneezing, coughing, and a lot of saliva comes out of their mouths. No bloody poop, no diarrhea, it just hits em and they die within a day or two. One of my rooster died this morning, a healthy cochin splash rooster. Now my polish rooster is dying from the same thing only he has blood coming out of his mouth!!!! I have tried Tylan and it is NOT helping. I don't know what to do!

I have cleaned the coop every other day for the past couple months. Sprayed it down with a bleach/water mix to kill whatever it is! I have sprayed the entire one and a quarter acre they free roam on down with bleach and water also! I'm so upset! I don't know what to do!!! Any advise?!

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    im sorry for your losses. i dont know about the illness chickens can get but did you research the safety of bleach? i would like to know if it is safe myself.

3. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    I would suggest you send one of the roosters off for a necropsy,only then will you have a correct diagnoses on what disease/virus you are dealing with and appropriate treatment.

4. carriagegirl23

Aug 7, 2013

And how much is a necropsy?

Sorry I am quite new to chickens

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Avian influenza can also cause the bloody secretions. You might call your state vet and ask if there have been reports of Avian Flu or ILT in your area. Here is the link on AI: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps032

8. carriagegirl23

Aug 7, 2013

I just found out from my husband that The one that has bloody mucus coming out of his nose and mouth was involved in a rooster scrap earlier. He ended up puting him in a cage like a long rabbit hutch we have. Apparently he was ramming himself pretty hard into the sides of the cage for a while. ;( I found him with blood all over his face and in his mouth. He breathes like the others did ! he is sick too! ;( ;( ;( it's my prized polish rooster too!

9. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You definitely have something pretty serious, so I would get a necropsy.

10. carriagegirl23

Aug 7, 2013

Just called.... I left them a message to call me back ASAP. ;( this really sucks!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by