My chickens keep flying and I don't know what to do.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by lowillobe, Jun 8, 2008.

1. lowillobe

lowillobe Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2008
    At first my chickens flew over an 8 foot fence and was running around the front yard. Today, I had there wings clipped.

There are 3 of them and tonight when I was putting them in the pen, one of them was running scared because of she was alone. So, we started looking for them and 1 them was on the 8 foot fence and the other was 2 feet above the other in a tree!!

I know I clipped there wings right. I don't know what to do. I don't want to keep them in their pen because they love running around the yard. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

You have to clip only one side or they can still fly. Some birds, especially bantams can still fly.

3. angelmarie

angelmarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    bakersfield
    can i see a pic? u kinda have to clip em short, and that intimidates people. aslong as you cut their Flight wings it won't hurt them

4. lowillobe

Jun 8, 2008
    Should I cut shorter than the other shorter feathers??

What makes no sense is that I don't one of them can't fly, because one was freaked out because she wasn't near the others.

5. angelmarie

angelmarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    bakersfield
    well i tried clipping only one side and i didn't like the look and they could still kinda fly i say cut shorter just check that tube in the middle of the feathers and make sure its completely empty

6. lowillobe

Jun 8, 2008
    i'll have to do it tommorrow because they are all tucked in.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2008
  7. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Just calmly herd them back into the coop at night and when they are out of the area you want them in (go over the fence) herd them back and "tell" them to "go back" or "get in" or "go in" in a firm voice. Herd them slowly and calmly and within a week I am sure they will be trained. I did that with mine and although they had plenty an oportunity to go beyond the boundaries they did not after they were trained. A nice wide leaf rake helps to steer them too. Then the fence you have will serve as a reminder to them after they are trained.

edit to add: I am not sure about clipping the wings for some of them will bleed profusely but I dont know which ones

Last edited: Jun 8, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by