1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My chickens keep pecking at my eyes--I'm bloody!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Trashcraft, Oct 24, 2015.

1. Trashcraft

Trashcraft Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2015
    Hello, I'm new to BYC and I have 3 (11 week) golden wyandottes and 3 silver cuckoo marans. I like to sit on the stoop and feed them from my hands, but even when they were tiny they'd go for my eyes! They still do this. I have to be very careful doing yardwork--if I bend down or squat down, they go straight for my eyes and have grabbed hold my lids and drew blood a couple times now. I am getting good and closing my eyes tightly if one is nearby. How do I stop this without frightening them-- I enjoy it when they sit nicely on my legs or lap or shoulder. I don't want to lose my eyesight!
    Thanks, B

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Unfortunately that comes with too tame poultry, they might lose interest in doing it as they get older. That's one of the reasons I don't handle mine so much, after they grow up I befriend them by feeding goodies, but they don't come into my space like that.

3. 123RedBeard

123RedBeard Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2014
    Arizona
    Back hand them!

Or wear safety goggles!

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    At 11 weeks, you can take your index finger and tap them on their head, like a peck, to correct them. Be cautious not to get your face too close to them. Eyeballs are shiny, and chickens peck to investigate things they are curious about. They don't mean to hurt you.

5. Trashcraft

Sep 16, 2015
    I think I will start wearing my glasses outside!

6. Trashcraft

Sep 16, 2015
    I'll try it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by