My chickens killed a hawk?!!! Or a falcon? or something! *grapic pics!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by redhen, Jan 1, 2010.

1. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Okay..hubby goes to let the birds out this a.m. and there was a big red tailed hawk sitting on their pen fence. (waiting for breakfast?) so..he waits to let the girls out..So a couple hours after he let them out we go out to check on them And this is what we find..
    the big stinkin hawk is circling above... but wait, it gets even better.
    My favorite black sex link Raven is a carcass and beside her is a dead hawk/falcon... (edited to add..this dead hawk is not the big one that has been circling my chickens.. the one circling is MUCH much bigger..)
    We are not sure if the hawk got her this morning or last night...(hubby SAYS he counted them last night before he locked them up for the night..uh huh.. [​IMG]
    So anyways..it either happend last night or this morning..
    So my roos must have killed this hawk? and what picked Raven clean? The chickens?? why didnt they eat the hawk then?
    I think what may have happend is the hawk attacked/killed Raven and my roos then killed the hawk (GOOD roos!) ...then since Raven was dead the chickens finished her off? UGH... Will my birds be chicken killers now? Will i have to worry about them eating one another? Also..i KNOW i need bird netting over my run...i am uploading a video to show you guys that its going to be near impossibe to cover their run with netting.. and any help/advice i will appreciate..(i'll start a new thread when the video uploads..)
    My poor Raven. Why do they always get your favorite hen!! [​IMG]

edited to add a video..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
  2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Not an expert, but way to go chooks! [​IMG]
    ETA: Sorry you had to lose a hen. [​IMG]

3. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

I suspect that the hawk was eviscerating your poor dead hen when the roos found him...and while distracted, they got him. That intestinal part looks like the way a raptor goes into prey.

Good boys!

4. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I know i cant believe they killed it! I do have 2 very big roos and one puny one.. [​IMG] (i think it was my Ameraucana that killed it..hes a tough guy..)
    I hate so badly that raven was killed though. She was one of last few favorites left...everytime i loose one its one of my special girls.. [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    ..i just looked at the pic again..he still has her meat in his claw... [​IMG]

6. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    [​IMG]

i dont know much about birds of prey but if you find someplace to get large lightweight pieces of netting ..let me know

7. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    Did you check your roosters to see if there are any markings of foul play? (no pun intended) [​IMG]

8. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:I can get bird/deer netting at lowes/home depot (i think) i just cant get it UP...
    the way my pen is shaped and stuff...its hard to explain..
    hubby is hanging cds right now...maybe that will help some...[​IMG]

9. domino7

domino7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    Sorry about Raven, but that's pretty crazy.

10. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    aaawwww redhen I am sorry about your girl. That is a yearling redtail hawk and most likely the one circling is a parent. Sad but it looks like hawk was eating your hen and your roos attacked and killed it. The chickens could pick on her but it is not likely and the damage looks like a raptor did it.

Give those roos treats!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by